My first Fiction Uncovered column was about how I have found myself changing as a reader; this last one focuses more specifically on one of the ways of reading that I’ve become drawn to. For a while now, I’ve been taking more notice of the ways in which the tone and style of a piece of fiction can interact with, and add nuance to, its other aspects. To an extent, this is an artificial divide: books are, after all, made of words; you can’t really separate fiction from the way it’s written. In practice, however, it can be easy to take the language of fiction for granted – and to risk overlooking whole layers in the process.
Fiction Uncovered celebrates Britain's best fiction writers. Find out more...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Submissions for the Jerwood Fiction Uncovered Prize are currently closed. Please sign up to our newsletter for further news on 2016.
- RT @RSLiterature: Could one of these be the Nation's Favourite #SecondNovel? Vote closes Friday 31 March. https://t.co/KOwJJEG8uG https://t.co/Ih2eyKJKNz, Mar 21
- RT @maybelaterpress: LONDON FOLLOWERS: @WordFactoryUK are running a Salon on post-truth this Saturday - very apt for our latest call out… https://t.co/jIj03PCbhp, Mar 21
- Don't miss @WordFactoryUK's Salon on post-truth & the untold story. Saturday 25th March. 6-8pm. Tickets >> https://t.co/NStEI1OKWQ, Mar 21
- RT @JoMazelis: Thrilled to hear that Ritual, 1969 is @edgehill prize-longlisted https://t.co/xHrQ50KCqe @SerenBooks @LitWales… https://t.co/IKh2ZPAMgw, Mar 21
- Writers @ #LBF17 this am should hear how @radish and @oolipo are creating new platforms (and revenues!) for writers https://t.co/1yFZLLJQow, Mar 16
- RT @TheLitPlatform: We'll be at 2B41 at 10am today for event w/ @radish_fiction @oolipo @SGCChina @editorialteseo https://t.co/f2oDiykHNB Come say hello! #LBF17, Mar 16
- RT @WritersCentre: Read extracts from some of the latest writers to be announced as taking part in #LitShowcase https://t.co/MOO5gmOTVH https://t.co/2SQ5I01H0O, Mar 16
- RT @FreeWordCentre: I Stared at the Night of the City is a book with a kaleidoscope of unreliable narrators. Intrigued? Join us 13 Mar:… https://t.co/p11kGOHWX1, Feb 17
- RT @nikeshshukla: 4) I'm giving away 4 free places to a creative writing masterclass. Details here: https://t.co/bEerjCV4B4 (ignore that it says one. Now 4), Feb 17
- RT @TheLitPlatform: Open call for 3 creative commissions worth £2500 each, issued by International Literature Showcase >>… https://t.co/WoibubRI8n, Feb 16