My first Fiction Uncovered column was about how I have found myself changing as a reader; this last one focuses more specifically on one of the ways of reading that I’ve become drawn to. For a while now, I’ve been taking more notice of the ways in which the tone and style of a piece of fiction can interact with, and add nuance to, its other aspects. To an extent, this is an artificial divide: books are, after all, made of words; you can’t really separate fiction from the way it’s written. In practice, however, it can be easy to take the language of fiction for granted – and to risk overlooking whole layers in the process.
Fiction Uncovered celebrates Britain's best fiction writers. Find out more...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Submissions for the Jerwood Fiction Uncovered Prize are currently closed. Please sign up to our newsletter for further news on 2016.
- Have you ever wanted to learn how to book-bind? As part of @Londoncraftweek @yodomoco is running a number of bookbi… https://t.co/oi8V35x5EQ, Apr 9
- RT @STWevents: There’s ONLY four days left to send in your submission to the #londonwritersawards! And to help you with fine-tunin… https://t.co/doQxpv0gyX, Jun 18
- RT @STWevents: Are you a London writer of commercial fiction looking for your big break? Apply for our free writer development sch… https://t.co/qmJsF7TO34, May 21
- RT @STWevents: We are excited to announce a new programme for London writers. The #londonwritersawards is a year long development… https://t.co/QlScJhyedZ, May 8
- RT @TheLitPlatform: Great line-up already for #Quantum18 conference at @LondonBookFair including @j_klingelhoefer from @Bookwire… https://t.co/7gxoZGxVft, Feb 14
- The brilliant David Mitchell joins @WordFactoryUK on 12/7 for exclusive reading & discussion of his work. Tickets >> https://t.co/hPEemODqhL, Jul 9
- RT @_CreativeAccess: @FictUncovered pls RT: @_CreativeAccess has fab roles in publishing companies & literary agencies for BAME grads:… https://t.co/dpvf3xovPS, Jun 28
- RT @RSLiterature: Could one of these be the Nation's Favourite #SecondNovel? Vote closes Friday 31 March. https://t.co/KOwJJEG8uG https://t.co/Ih2eyKJKNz, Mar 21
- RT @maybelaterpress: LONDON FOLLOWERS: @WordFactoryUK are running a Salon on post-truth this Saturday - very apt for our latest call out… https://t.co/jIj03PCbhp, Mar 21
- Don't miss @WordFactoryUK's Salon on post-truth & the untold story. Saturday 25th March. 6-8pm. Tickets >> https://t.co/NStEI1OKWQ, Mar 21